Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Merida Yucatan Notes From the Field

I´s wednesday, I think, and I am again in an internet cafe on the main plaza sipping coffiee and composeing my thoughts. I don´t know how to use the spell check yet and Cindy isn´t here so forgive my poor spelling.

Yesterday we went to Progresso and strolled the beach. We were going to have a fish dinner but I asked our waiter for ´botannas´{free snacks that come with beer} six plates arrived. Some of the best food we´ve eaten while here. Our table was a wooden bench under a palm umbrella directly on the white sandy beach. I half expected to be in one of those tropical beer commercials for corona. Six bucks.

On the bus ride back I had a half hour conversation with three teenagers. Kids all over the world are the same.

Cindy was pissed because the bus driver had over charged her. It was the first time she handled the finances. Usually I pay the bus drivers and restraunt bills. The bus driver made off with 50 cents american and I got to smurk for the rest of the day. Priceless. I of course gave our bus driver the tratidional ´gracias´on our departure. He avoided eye contact with Cindy.

We are staying in a wonderful hotel in the center of Merida populated by several elderly ex pats who come down for the winter. Walking distance to almost everything and with a friendly staff who do not mind teaching spanish. The small pool and court yard are perfect. I snag a couple beers at the tienda across the street and we sit out in the moon light at night.

Today the antropoligists arrived at the Hyatt uptown. A five star hotel if I ever saw one. We took the bus up this morning so Cindy could register. {I made her pay to restore her confidence} and as I write she is attending lectures. This morning we met another professor of antro who is staying at our hotel. The first thing she said to Cindy was that her book on the Maya is assigned reading for all of her classes. I told Cindy not to get too excited because the students probably buy used copies.

Walked back from the Hyatt on Calle 60, stopping for a coke and a couple panucho´s at Parke Santa Anna.

Next week we´re going to the Village via taxi {12 pesos/one dollar} and if we survive the ride we´ll spend the night with Pablo and Dasiey and drink fresh squezed orange, water mellon or qual querie. Sarah, Nathan and David. Everybody in the village and I mean everybody asks about you. Pablo and Dasiy have a room for you and yours. Heather, Khristen start working on your spanish. Joel two words...Cervesa y bano...

Cindy is with the anthro´s for the day and much of the night so I´m going to wander around town.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement. Can't wait to see you again. Hugs and kisses to everyone in the village.

Susan said...

I am guessing that if you knew retirement would be this much fun, you would have done it years ago. It sounds like you are having a great time and we are happy for you but have to tell you that Bible study has not been the same without you.

I told Marco that you would help him with his campaign and he wants to know when you will be here. He just discovered as he filed that he is running for a partial term and will have to run again in two years. He wonders what the Governor was thinking. . . I told him, if he makes it through this election, he will not have to worry about two years from now.

So, hurry home. We miss you. Can you receive USA Today on line or through your Kindle?? There is a good article today on Charleston, SC.